1/26/09

Book Slut Club


"BOOK SLUT CLUB"

by Cynthia Rodriguez

Over the years, I realized as I got serious about my reading habits, I felt the need to be surrounded by other individuals that share the same passion for books as I do. Being accustomed to belonging to diverse circles or groups involved in the same activities as myself, I felt there was something lacking in the books department as far as "reading buddies", so I decided to get involved with a book club.

I looked around, the obvious places where I knew they would have such a group like book stores and libraries. There was only one issue that really bugged me that I just couldn't shake. I noticed all these book clubs were run the same way, like there was a certain set formula. Everybody had to read the same book. Now to a certain extent, I understand the concept, but I didn't like it. I guess most people are okay with that method, but...I didn't like it.


Not satisfied with what I found, I finally decided to start my own. My book club "philosophy" would basically be, "read whatever the hell you want to read".Hey, maybe I'll use that as my slogan. Anyway, from all that, "Book Slut Club" was born. Not to be confused with the "Book Slut" readers website, (which I love). I'm hoping adding the "Club" at the end would make a little bit of a difference, especially being that it's just a local yocal thing.

For about six months now, it's been a once a month gathering for fellow readers. It is somewhat unstructered and rather chaotic. Everybody reads whatever they want, brings it to the meeting, and we talk about it over latte, cheesecake or the sandwich of the day. Go ahead, call us the rebels of books clubs.

Now at first I was critized by certain seasoned book club people who thought the name was "disgusting". They just don't get it. I wanted something that would really, really show my passion for books. The first thing that came to mind when I'd hear them talk about that was, "Bite me. It's my fucking book club."

The second thing that irked me about these little book club snobs was the fact they kept telling me how "wrong" it is the way I run it. I'm not making anybody read anything in particular. I feel the important thing is that they are reading. It's just nice to get together once in a while with people who read. Period.

And of course, nobody is gonna make me read anything. People put up with enough of that when they're in school, why do that to them outside of that? What if I don't wanna read "Little Women"? What if I wanna read "Cunt"? I know not everyone is gonna wanna read "Cunt". Alas, I am the ultimate book club outcast.

Any local Lesbiatopians interested in joining me and my book club misfits, please contact me at:

resident.book.worm@gmail.com

(Shout out to the creator of the "Book Slut Club" logo, Reading, PA artist Tuesday Feld)






1 comment:

Cassie said...

Check out this cool online book club run by two fun sassy chicks.http://ohitisonlyanovel.blogspot.com/