“Equality California’s No on Prop 8 campaign needs every cent they can get to defeat this atrocious ballot initiative,” she continued. “We cannot afford to lose our momentum in this crucial time leading up to the election. We’ve smashed our goal of $8,000. Now let’s keep the donations coming in to smash Proposition 8.”
Dorothy Snarker of http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com and www.afterellen.com echoed Chu’s sentiments. "Reaching our goal in three days is amazing and a testament to the generosity and passion of all of our readers,” said Snarker. “But just because we reached $8,000 doesn't mean we should stop pushing for more. Polls show the 'Yes' and 'No' votes are almost dead-even. We can't let intolerance win because we couldn't afford to fight hatred head-on."
L. A. Vess, Managing Editor of GayWired Media, which includes the lesbian-oriented site SheWired.com, stated: "The fight to defeat Prop 8 and other initiatives like it across the country now and in the future truly has to begin at the individual level. These bloggers are doing what we should all do when we are moved by a cause and see our human rights in danger -- get out on the front lines and make things happen. Sitting on the sidelines just isn't going to cut it anymore. I applaud these extraordinary women for their dedicated efforts to protect equality for all." (from GayWired.com)
We've received a lot of press and blog love over the last few days as well. My fellow bloggers on this project are:
- Grace Chu and Grace Rosen from Grace the Spot
- Lori Hahn from Hahn at Home
- Kelly Leszczynski from The Lesbian Lifestyle
- Sinclair from Sugarbutch Chronicles
- Riese from This Girl Called Automatic-Win
- Pam Spaulding from Pam's House Blend
- Dorothy Snarker of Dorothy Surrenders
In the meantime, if you have already donated through www.8against8.com, please help us (and your gay and lesbian brothers and sisters in California) in the following ways:
- tell your friends to donate - dig into your address books and send a mass e-mail, send a mass mail to your Facebook friends, etc.
- add the www.8against8.com URL to your Facebook status updates
- share the link on Facebook and social bookmarking sites like Digg, Mixx, Reddit, StumbleUpon etc.
- link us up on any forums or chat boards you frequent
- comment on other blogs with the URL
- put the URL on Twitter
- send the latest press release to all of your media contacts and favorite bloggers (this is crucial - bombard them until they can't say "no")
- call all your celebrity friends and ask them to endorse the 8 Against 8 campaign
Some people are still skeptical about the power of bloggers and their readers — and the capabilities of the internet in general. Prove them wrong, and make a difference while you're at it. We, the bloggers participating in 8 Against 8, have faith in all of you. You have already shown us what you can do.
Thanks again to everyone who has helped make this a BIG success!!