2/21/08

The Enlightened Dyke: Welcome To Class

You may not know it, but you're still in school. Every day you are presented with lessons, information, and opportunities for growth and change hidden inside your day-to-day experiences. Some of you, like you did in college, sleep through many of these. Others, again in collegiate form, are too drunk to take it in. And some of you, for some reason or another, just don't think you have any more learning to do, either because you've learned it all already (prideful, are we?) or because you don't think you can learn or change.


This is where I come in. I am a teacher. I take ideas and information and lessons that need to be learned, and transform them into something captivating. I open other people's eyes to new thoughts and possibilities, allowing them to learn truth for themselves. I don't profess to know everything; on the contrary, I know there is much more out there for me to learn. What makes me The Professor is my ability to engage others in thinking, learning, and growth. For like the trees in this picture, when we stop growing, we die.

Naturally, there will be times when we disagree. This is because, as my dear friend Lesberita says, everything is relative. Nonetheless, as long as I have inspired you to think, to process, and to more clearly define what you know and believe, I have succeeded.

This brings me to my first lesson. Success. It means different things to each of us. Are you succeeding in your life? I believe the only way to succeed at anything is to know what you're going after. Do you have goals for your life? Have you written them down? Never underestimate the power of the written word. When you write things down, you are showing yourself that you take it seriously. And shouldn't your goals for life be something you take seriously?

If it seems overwhelming, you don't need to think about everything you want to do with your entire life. I think it's important to have short and long term goals. It's also important to think about the many layers of yourself, not just your career. For example, here is a short excerpt of my life goals:
  • Get out of debt.
  • Learn to play piano.
  • Run a marathon.
  • Develop at least three lifelong friends.
As you can see, the things I want out of my life involve every aspect of my person, not just my career. It's important to think about "being successful" as applying to more than just your professional life. Your physical, emotional, financial, relational, and spiritual sides of your life also deserve your attention.

Your homework for today: Make a to-do list for your life. Use an old notebook, a journal, or even a new Word file. Think about the many areas of your life that you want to develop. It can major milestones, or simple achievements. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks; this is between you and yourself. Then, once you've written them down, pick one or two that you want to focus on. Go after them! You'll never know if you don't try. And if you don't try, you'll always wonder.


Beckimage001