2/8/08

When you care enough to send the very best!



With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite links for fun e-cards.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a big fan of e-cards. The last thing I want to do is wait for a file of dancing squirrels to open so they can pop balloons and chirp "Happy Birthday" at me. Really, sometimes wearing the silly birthday hat at Chevy's and having the staff sing and clap is faster and less painful (and comes with drink service).

But there are times when an e-card is fast, appropriate, or just plain fun, and these are some of my favorites (they're all free):

Sensual Cards
Check out the black and white photo selection at mygayweb.com. These high-quality photos are sexy, sensual, and romantic.
There are lots of images of girls kissing girls. Most of the cards feature images of femme women and none of them feature obviously butch women, which is a big downfall in my book. However, among all the photos featuring feminine drag (high heels, pearls, gloves), there are plenty of artistic, identity-neutral bodyscapes.

Funny Cards
While not specifically lesbian-themed, the cards at someecards.com are incredibly inappropriate and very, very funny. I discovered these when a friend sent me one, and I promptly spent a good amount of time looking through the selections (there are lots to choose from). I found something for everyone I know and sent out a handful only to receive a flood of them back. A fantastic way to waste an afternoon!

Sweet Cards
Cartoonist Paige Braddock includes Valentines among her card selections at comics.com. Author of the lesbian-themed Jane's World graphic novels, her cards are lesbian-specific and fun. A couple of the cards feature a butch-femme theme, and there's a multi-purpose "love" card featuring a donut that would make a great all-purpose, non-romantic Valentine.


No comments: